Cocktail drum cases

matthew medeiros

Cocktail drum cases

Post by matthew medeiros »

I've been thinking of making some custom cases for cocktail drums. I would use a material similar the the vulcanized fiber like the Humes & Berg cases but not quite as expensive. I'm in the process of getting a price quote for the material. Would anybody be interested pending a price in buying a case? I would do it for cost of material and a little on top for my labor. Let me know if interested.
Matthew
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

I'd be interested in knowing the price for a big case.
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

me 3! I am currently using a trash can for a case, works pretty well!
Shorty
zorf

Post by zorf »

hey Mathew,
I'm intersted also.
matthew medeiros

custom drum cases

zorf wrote:hey Mathew,
I'm intersted also.
Just to update on the cases, I am having trouble locating the vulcanized fiber in small enough amounts for me to be able to purchase. I found a manufacturer here in California but their minumum order to manufacture is 250 sheets!!! I have, however, found a fiber board material used in furniture and automotive applications that is reasonably priced but is not as hard and therefore not as durable as the vulcanised fiber. I am still trying to find a supplier here in California that will sell me 5 or 10 sheets of the vulcanized fiber board. I might make a case out of the fiber board mentioned above and see how it wears. I am currently making auto upholstery so I have access to the unhardened fiber board.
Matthew
matthew medeiros

Re: custom drum cases

matthew medeiros wrote:
zorf wrote:hey Mathew,
I'm intersted also.
Just to update on the cases, I am having trouble locating the vulcanized fiber in small enough amounts for me to be able to purchase. I found a manufacturer here in California but their minumum order to manufacture is 250 sheets!!! I have, however, found a fiber board material used in furniture and automotive applications that is reasonably priced but is not as hard and therefore not as durable as the vulcanised fiber. I am still trying to find a supplier here in California that will sell me 5 or 10 sheets of the vulcanized fiber board. I might make a case out of the fiber board mentioned above and see how it wears. I am currently making auto upholstery so I have access to the unhardened fiber board.
So, here's the deal: I found the vulcanized fiber in L.A. It would cost with shipping 200.00 bucks for 1 sheet (39" x48") and that would do maybe 1 cocktail drum & a small case, hardly worth it. It would cost about 618. for 4 sheets putting the cost at 155. a sheet for the fiber, still not really worth it, might as well buy from a case manufacturer. If I can find the fiber in the SF bay, I can eliminate shipping costs.
Matthew
Drumsdick

Case Closed!

Post by Drumsdick »

Hi Everyone,
Finding individual cases for our cocktail kits need not be frustrating any more!
Check out "Drum Rolls" cases at the link below, the "Fitments" page in particular. I bought a set for my full size kit last year, and have discovered that they work perfectly for my Slingerland Expresso kit. It has a 16x16 bass/tom, and several 10x5 and 10x6 toms and popcorn snare. Measure your circumferences carefully, making sure you find the largest dimension around all the mounts. A couple of inches of beyond the rim-to-rim depth will help them wrap around to protect the rims. Look at the 18 inch tom and 18 inch bass drum sizes, and the 10 inch popcorn snares. Send Rick the sizes you need, and I'm certain that he will hook you/us up.
http://www.drumrolls.com/index.html

I'll tell him you're coming.
Dick B.
www.aquatudes.com
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Nice looking product, but the shopping cart isn't working and a lot of the site is broken. I went to ebay to check on the sale and found only one bag. I'm interested in a large size for the main drum. Need to know the prices.
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

I've had a couple of emails back and forth with Rick of Drumrolls. I gave him some dimensions that we would need and the closest he can come is a 20" (diameter) by 30" (length, head to head) bass drum case. I haven't gotten a price yet but I'm going to get one of these for my big drum. Thought I'd let you all know. I suggested he post something here, so if a commercial pops up, it's my fault. :oops:
metrodrum

drum cases

Post by metrodrum »

I'd suggest going to a fabric store, find yourself some heavy cordura type fabric,
layer it back to back, use closed cell foam as an inner liner. Use backpack type
clip straps three of them, should do it.

If you a bit handy with a thread and needle, ( actually a sewing machine ) your
pretty good to go. I've made a couple of these.

Matthew@Metropolitan
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Not a bad idea. Thanks!
cosmodrum

Post by cosmodrum »

Humes and Berg make a combo case for 14x14 plus 8x12 thart fits my 14" x24 slingerland and they also make the same for 16x16+9x13 that should work for 16" cocktail kits. They have a removeable divider that makes it perfect that use. [/b]
traleeman

Post by traleeman »

Where would I be able to order the combo case. I didn't see them on there web site. :?
cosmodrum

cocktail drum cases

Post by cosmodrum »

Call Woodwind&Brasswind and ask for Barry in drums. i ordered them from him.